Sciatica Treatment and Relief With Chiropractic in Melbourne
Sciatica describes the persistent pain in the lower part of the body as a result of interference or irritation to the sciatic nerve. Sciatic pain, or nerve pain, tends to be felt from the lower back or lumbar regions, behind the hips, down the thighs and some times down to the knee.
Problems arise when pressure is placed on or around the nerve region. Often, sciatic nerve pain can be excruciating and may immobilise sufferers.
Factors That Contribute to Sciatica:
- Disc herniation, pressing on the nerve
- Nerve irritation or inflammation from disc pressure
- Abnormal postures, especially concerning the position of the pelvis and spinal bones
- Tight muscles
- Pregnancy, in some cases
Symptoms of Sciatica (Nerve Pain Symptoms):
- Radiating pain from the back down the leg
- Localised lower back, hip and leg pain
- Burning sensation
- Pins and needles in the feet
- Difficulty walking, sitting or bending at the waist
Benefits of Chiropractic
Manual therapies, such as chiropractic, used in combination with other recommendations such as ice therapy, rest, exercise and stretching help many cases of sciatica. In some cases, surgery may be recommended.
Sciatica may be diagnosed by your chiropractor with physical and neurological examinations. Sometimes scans, X-rays or nerve tests may be used to help with diagnosis.
Chiropractic is an all-natural, drug-free and non-invasive treatment option, which aims to restore spinal movement, reduce and/or remove nerve interference and in doing so decrease pain and inflammation.